Play Words With Friends for Snoop Lion, Jonah Hill et al (and charity)
It's probably safe to say that, thanks in part to Mr. Baldwin, just about any celebrity you can think of is down with Words With Friends, the hit Scrabble knock-off by Zynga. Now, we have an inkling that famous folks like Kristen Bell, Sophia Bush, Jonah Hill, John Legend, Snoop Lion, Eva Longoria, Edward Norton and Paul Pierce dig the game, too. That's because they're all in on the Words With Friends Celebrity Challenge.
A charity event ran by Zynga with the help of fundraising site CrowdRise and American Express (in the form of free Word-O-Meters for contestants), these celebs will go head-to-head (with the help of their respective teams of fans) in Words With Friends matches from Sept. 27 through Oct. 3 for a chance at $500,000 for their charity of choice.
That's right, the more words you play in Words With Friends as a celebrity's team member, the higher their rank will rise and the better chance they'll have at winning 500 grand for their charity. In the event that you actually care more about the charity you're championing than the celebrity--pardon the cynicism--here's the list of charities involved:
- Eva Longoria – The Eva Longoria Foundation: The Eva Longoria Foundation helps Latinas build better futures for themselves and their families through education and entrepreneurship.
- Jonah Hill and Kristen Bell – Harlem Grown: Harlem Grown is a non-profit organization that partners with the NYC Parks Department, Department of Education and a variety of food advocacy and community agriculture organizations.
- Edward Norton and Sophia Bush – Maasai Wilderness Conservation Trust: The Maasai Wilderness Conservation Trust works to protect the legendary ecosystems and astounding biodiversity of East Africa.
- John Legend – The Show Me Campaign: The Show Me Campaign works to fight poverty using proven solutions that give people the opportunity to survive, thrive, and succeed. Believing that equal access to quality education is the civil rights issue of our time, the Show Me Campaign promotes education reform in the United States.
- Snoop Lion – The Snoop Youth Football League: Founded by entertainment icon Snoop Lion, The Snoop Youth Football League is a non-profit organization providing inner-city children the chance to participate in youth football and cheer.
- Paul Pierce – Truth On Health – The Truth Fund: The Truth Fund launched The Truth on Health Campaign to help empower and encourage young people to lead healthier lifestyles.
On top of all this, players will also have a chance to play a game of Words With Friends against their team's celebrity leader. Just play at least five words for your team, and you'll be entered for that very chance, with winners decided at random on Oct. 4. Oh yeah, and you could also just donate.
Click here to learn more about Words With Friends Celebrity Challenge Now >
Are you excited to play for any of these celebrities? Are you still digging Words With Friends after all this time? Sound off in the comments. Add Comment.