Ryder Publishes 2011 Corporate Sustainability Report
Ryder Publishes 2011 Corporate Sustainability Report
- Company discusses its role in "Making Commerce Flow More Efficiently and Sustainably, for Everyone" -
MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Ryder System, Inc. (NYS: R) , a leader in commercial transportation and supply chain management solutions, today announced that it has published its 2011 Corporate Sustainability Report. Recognizing that transportation and logistics are the circulatory system of the economy, the Ryder report is themed, "Making Commerce Flow More Efficiently and Sustainably, for Everyone." The 2011 report outlines Ryder's sustainability strategy, which focuses on providing transportation and logistics solutions to companies of all sizes that ease complexity, increase efficiency, and keep goods and materials flowing so that the economy can grow and thrive.
Ryder's 2011 Corporate Sustainability Report (Photo: Business Wire)
The report, Ryder's third since 2008, includes enhanced disclosures and metrics related to the environment, company operations, and the workplace. For the first time, the report includes Ryder executive statements, as well as external stakeholder perspectives from customers, charitable partners, and government agencies about the company's sustainability performance.
"We have a tremendous opportunity to contribute to the sustainability of our economy because of the nature of our business," Chairman and CEO Greg Swienton writes in the report. "We're making more potential customers aware of how working with Ryder benefits them economically and environmentally, and how those benefits cascade throughout society. We prepared our Corporate Sustainability Report to help us get that message out."
The report discloses Ryder's approach toward maintaining high standards for corporate governance, innovating for the environment, keeping cargo and supply chains safe and secure, and investing in people and communities. All of Ryder's contributions to sustainability stem from the same source - the company's commitment to getting the right results, the right way. Highlights from the report include:
- Deploying a fleet of 240 heavy-duty natural gas vehicles and investing in natural gas vehicle maintenance infrastructure in California, Arizona, and Michigan.
- Launching a new Flex-to-Green lease solution which helps customers jump-start sustainability programs with alternative fuel vehicles.
- Developing a new Green Challenge to help supply chain customers leverage their engagement with Ryder to gain significantly increased environmental benefits.
- Reducing electricity, gas, and water use at all Ryder-owned U.S. and Canada facilities for the third consecutive year.
- Earning the first anti-terrorism certifications for our Asia and Trans-Pacific logistics operations.
- Joining the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Veterans Employment Advisory Council and making a pledge to hire 1,000 military veterans by 2013.
- Implementing a new learning management system to improve employee access to training.
- Launching a new sleep apnea treatment program for all Ryder professional drivers in the U.S.
- Increasing Ryder's total charitable giving for the third consecutive year.
Ryder is a FORTUNE 500® commercial transportation, logistics and supply chain management solutions company. Ryder's stock (NYS: R) is a component of the Dow Jones Transportation Average and the Standard & Poor's 500 Index. Inbound Logistics magazine has included Ryder in its "Green Partners" listing for four years in a row, and Newsweek has included Ryder for two years in a row in its ranking of the top 250 green U.S. companies. Ryder is a charter member of the NGV Fleet Forum and a member of the Department of Energy's National Clean Fleets partnership. Ryder is also a recipient of the 2011 NGV Achievement Award and has been recognized by the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) in the Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index. A member of the American Red Cross Annual Disaster Giving Program, Ryder is proud to support national and local disaster preparedness and response efforts. For more information, visit www.ryder.com and follow us on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.
Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements:Certain statements and information included in this news releaseare "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Federal Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995.These forward-looking statements are based on our current plans and expectations and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions.Accordingly, these forward-looking statements should be evaluated with consideration given to the many risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results and events to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements including those risks set forth in our periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.New risks emerge from time to time.It is not possible for management to predict all such risk factors or to assess the impact of such risks on our business.Accordingly, we undertake no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50420428〈=en
KEYWORDS: United States North America Florida
The article Ryder Publishes 2011 Corporate Sustainability Report originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2012 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.