Kohl's Opens 12 New Stores Creating Approximately 1,500 Jobs
Kohl's Opens 12 New Stores Creating Approximately 1,500 Jobs
MENOMONEE FALLS, Wis.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Kohl's Department Stores (NYS: KSS) is pleased to announce the grand opening of 12 new stores, creating approximately 1,500 jobs nationwide. The company now operates 1,146 stores in 49 states.
This fall, Kohl's will create approximately 1,500 jobs nationwide when it opens 12 new stores across 10 states. (Photo: Business Wire)
"We are pleased to be in a position to open 12 new stores, create approximately 1,500 jobs and invest in our existing store base by remodeling dozens of locations," said Kevin Mansell, Kohl's chairman, president and chief executive officer. "While shoppers continue to be selective about their purchases, value is an important part of why customers choose Kohl's. So, we continue to offer quality national and exclusive brand merchandise in a fresh and exciting shopping environment, at an exceptional value."
Growth, Remodels and Innovation
The company celebrates the grand opening of 12 new stores in 10 states, including Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Washington. Of the 12 new locations, 11 are small format stores with approximately 64,000 square feet or less of retail space. Kohl's also continues to invest in its existing store base by remodeling approximately 50 stores this year. Over the last six years, more than half of Kohl's store base has been remodeled or newly built.
All new Kohl's stores opening this fall feature convenient store designs and new features to provide customers with an exciting and comfortable shopping environment. Some of these features include:
- Updated check-out stations
- Newly designed shopping carts and strollers
- Innovative fixtures in cosmetics
- Upgraded fitting rooms throughout the store with fitting room lounges in Misses and Juniors
- Expanded customer service area relocated to the front of the store in all locations
- In-store Kohl's Kiosks
- Electronic signs in all departments
- Wi-Fi throughout the store
In addition, nine of the new stores opening this week were built according to a prototype that received Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification at the Gold level from the U.S. Green Building Council. Characteristics of stores built to LEED guidelines, which provide best practices for the design, construction and operation for high-performance green buildings, include: recycled and regionally sourced building materials; water-efficient landscaping and plumbing fixtures and the use of ENERGY STAR-rated roofs that reduce each building's energy demand. Green characteristics of all stores opening this week include waste management to recycle construction materials, occupancy sensor lighting for stockrooms, dressing rooms, break rooms and offices, energy management systems to control heating and cooling and a recycling program for cardboard boxes, hangers and packaging.
Quality Brands, Value and Convenience
Kohl's stores nationwide and Kohls.com help customers experience the thrill of shopping with quality national and exclusive brands at a value they can appreciate. Kohl's powerful brand portfolio includes Simply Vera Vera Wang, Jennifer Lopez collection, LC Lauren Conrad, Marc Anthony collection, Rock & Republic, Food Network, Bobby Flay, ELLE Contemporary Collection, ELLE DECOR, Dana Buchman, Princess Vera Wang, Candie's, Mudd, Tony Hawk, Apt. 9, Chaps, Jumping Beans and SONOMA life + style. Kohl's is also home to national brands including Levi's, Carter's, Nike, Adidas, Bali, Fisher-Price, Cuisinart, KitchenAid and more. Grand opening customers can shop new fall merchandise from Simply Vera Vera Wang, Princess Vera Wang, LC Lauren Conrad, Mudd and Candie's arriving in stores and on Kohls.com at the end of September. Later this fall, customers can enjoy the launch of DesigNation, Kohl's limited-edition collection concept, with an exclusive line from designer Narciso Rodriguez, available starting November 7 at 7:00 a.m.
Shoppers can take advantage of the company's unique offerings, some of which include:
Unbeatable Savings Opportunities
- Kohl's Cash® - During Kohl's Cash promotions, all shoppers get $10 Kohl's Cash back for every $50 spent (in store or online), with no earn limit, that can be used toward future purchases in store or on Kohls.com - good on all brands and sale prices. It's like getting paid to shop!
- Power Hours and Early Birds - During special hours, Kohl's offers the lowest prices of the week on select items or categories.
- Kohl's Charge - Kohl's Charge customers receive a number of exclusive benefits. In addition to getting extra savings on their first purchase, shoppers also receive Pick-Your-Day shopping passes and special event discounts throughout the year.
- Shoppers 60+ - Every Wednesday, Kohl's shoppers age 60 and better will save an extra 15 percent on in-store purchases at Kohl's stores nationwide.
- A Hassle-Free Return Policy -Kohl's return policy gives customers a quick, convenient and "no questions asked" experience. Customers returning merchandise with receipts or items purchased with Kohl's Charge cards are eligible to receive full refunds or even exchanges, while customers without a receipt will receive a Kohl's merchandise credit.
- No Exclusions -There are no brand exclusions when using offers like Kohl's Cash or Kohl's Charge card discounts.
- Kohls.com -24 hours a day, seven days a week, shoppers have access to an expanded online assortment of exciting merchandise, tremendous values and conveniences available on Kohls.com, including functionality for customer ratings and reviews, online redemption of Kohl's Cash and navigation features to showcase "What's New," "Best Sellers" and "Customers' Top Rated."
- Extended Store Shopping Hours -Kohl's stores open early and close late so shoppers can take advantage of great in-store savings when it's most convenient.
- Kohl's Kiosk - Buy, Save and Ship It for Free - Kohl's Kiosks located in all stores make it easy to shop with confidence. Customers can choose from an expanded assortment of styles, sizes, colors and merchandise that may not be available in stores. In addition, Kohl's offers free standard shipping in the U.S. on items ordered from in-store kiosks.
- Gift Registry - Kohl's offers convenient gift registry options for life's special occasions, including the Wedding Wishes gift registry, Little Ones baby registry and Special Days personal registry. For more information, visit Kohls.com/Registry or visit your local Kohl's store.
- Facebook and Twitter -Check out Kohl's deals and promotions on Facebook (facebook.com/kohls) and follow the conversation on Twitter (@Kohls).
Kohl's commitment to customers has been recognized by the National Retail Federation* for the past seven years on its list of retailers that offer the best customer service. Kohl's has ranked among the top retailers in the University of Michigan's** customer satisfaction survey for 10 consecutive years. In addition, Kohl's was ranked by Forbes and the Reputation Institute as the most reputable department store on their annual list of the Most Reputable Companies.
Kohl's Cares® - Community and Environmental Commitment
Kohl's cares and strives to be an active member in the cities and towns where we do business. Through charitable giving and volunteer programs for kids' health and education and environmental initiatives, Kohl's is making communities happier, healthier, greener places to live and work. Kohl's supports local communities through its Kohl's Cares® philanthropic programs which include:
- Kohl's Cares Cause Merchandise Program - Throughout the year, Kohl's sells kid-friendly cause merchandise with 100 percent of the net profit donated to support children's health and education initiatives in communities nationwide. To date, more than $208 million has been raised through the Kohl's Cares cause merchandise program.
- Kohl's Cares Associates in Action Program - Kohl's associates make a difference by volunteering in their communities and partnering with qualified nonprofits. More than 500,000 associates have donated more than 1.6 million hours of their time since 2001 and Kohl's has donated more than $47 million to nonprofits throughout the nation.
- Kohl's Cares Scholarship Program - Kohl's also recognizes and rewards youth volunteers. Since 2001, Kohl's has awarded more than $3.4 million in scholarships and prizes to more than 17,000 volunteers through Kohl's scholarship program. In 2012, Kohl's awarded more than $420,000 in scholarships and prizes to more than 2,200 kids nationwide.
- Kohl's Cares Fundraising Gift Card Program - Kohl's has also raised more than $35 million for youth organizations through fundraising gift cards.
- Kohl's Cares Advancing Environmental Solutions - Kohl's is committed to being a leading environmentally responsible retailer and to protecting and conserving the environment. Exemplifying this commitment, the company received its third consecutive U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Green Power Partner of the Year award in 2011 and has been recognized with EPA Green Power Leadership Awards for five consecutive years. The company currently ranks first in retail, second overall and second among all companies on EPA's quarterly rankings of top green power purchasers. In addition, Kohl's has more than 120 solar locations, and more than 700 Kohl's stores have earned EPA's ENERGY STAR label for superior energy efficiency and environmental performance. Additional information about Kohl's sustainability initiatives is available at KohlsGreenScene.com.
Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Information
This press release contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including growth and remodel projections. Kohl's intends forward-looking terminology such as "believes," "expects," "may," "will," "should," "anticipates," "plans," or similar expressions to identify forward looking statements. Such statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties, which could cause Kohl's actual results to differ materially from those anticipated by the forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to those described in Item 1A in Kohl's Annual Report on Form 10-K/A, which is expressly incorporated herein by reference, and other factors as may periodically be described in Kohl's filings with the SEC.
Based in Menomonee Falls, Wis., Kohl's (NYS: KSS) is a family-focused, value-oriented specialty department store offering moderately priced, exclusive and national brand apparel, shoes, accessories, beauty and home products in an exciting shopping environment. With a commitment to environmental leadership, Kohl's operates 1,146 stores in 49 states. In support of the communities it serves, Kohl's has raised more than $208 million for children's initiatives nationwide through its Kohl's Cares® cause merchandise program, which operates under Kohl's Cares, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Kohl's Department Stores, Inc. For a list of store locations and information, or for the added convenience of shopping online, visit www.Kohls.com, or join the discussion on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/kohls or Twitter http://twitter.com/Kohls.
*The NRF Foundation (NRFF) is the research and education arm of the National Retail Federation. A non-profit foundation created in 1981, the Foundation conducts industry research, develops education and workforce development programs, professional certification programs and promotes retailing as a career destination.
**The National Quality Research Center (NQRC) at the University of Michigan Business School is a research and teaching center focusing on the measurement of customer satisfaction and the study of its relationships to quality, customer retention, profitability and productivity for private and public sector organizations, for specific industries and for national economies.
New store locations opening September 26, 2012 include:
New Milford, Conn.
Aspen Hill, Md.
Gig Harbor, Wash.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50420727〈=en
KEYWORDS: United States North America Wisconsin
The article Kohl's Opens 12 New Stores Creating Approximately 1,500 Jobs originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2012 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.