Let the games begin: Toys R Us and Walmart (WMT) have unveiled their hot holiday toy lists, sending the message to shoppers that the Christmas selling season has officially begun.
Expect to see more top-toy lists from retailers such as Target (TGT) and Amazon (AMZN) trickle in over the next few weeks. (On Wednesday, Kohl's (KSS) debuted its list.)
But for now, here are a dozen of the toys Walmart and Toys R Us, the nation's No. 1 and No. 2 toy chains, respectively, hope will fly off their shelves this holiday season.
But will any toys be hot enough to save toymakers? One analyst has downgraded the stocks of some of the biggest names in the game. Read more:
• Analyst Downgrades Leading Toy Stocks -- Bah, Humbug!
Hot Toys For the Holidays From Walmart and Toys R Us
1. The Leapfrog LeapPad 2 learning tablet has been upgraded with more memory, front-and-back cameras and over 325 educational games and apps. Price: $99.
2. It's back. FURBY, that is. These fuzzy friends with the LED eyes make their comeback in 10 bold colors. Price: $54.
3. The Hot Wheels Terrain Twister R/C Vehicle can conquer snow, water, dirt, grass and other tough terrains. Price: $84.88.
4. For $49.97, the Fisher-Price Imaginext Eagle Talon Castle Play Set conjures a Medieval world of adventure. $49.97.
5. Does your daughter's Barbie need a vacation? The iconic doll and and her three sisters can take a glamorous trip on the Barbie Sisters Cruise Ship, priced at $72.97.
6. Kids can sing along with the Lalaloopsy Silly Hair doll Star Harmony B. Sharp. Change her hairstyle to watch her perform a new ditty. Retail price: $59.96.
1. The 1D Collector Dolls feature all five members of the singing group One Direction. Dolls Niall, Harry, Liam, Zayn and Louis are $19.99 each.
2. Jake's Musical Pirate Ship Bucky from Fisher-Price is based on the Disney Jr. TV show Jake and the Never Land Pirates. Price: $44.99.
3. With the Gelarti Designer Studio, kids can create and customize their own gel stickers. The new sets from Moose Toys from $9.99 to $24.99.
4. Toys R Us's exclusive Tabeo tablet, made especially for kids (complete with parental controls), retails for $149.99.
5. The Y-Volution YFliker F1 Scooter is three-wheeled, lightweight and retails for $99.99.
6. The Wii U from Nintendo is the next generation of the hot item, introducing two-screen console gaming. Already sold out due to pre-orders, it will be available again on Nov. 18. Price unavailable.