First Place NASCAR Racer Loses License For Speeding
North Carolina District Court suspended Kyle Busch's driver's license for 45 days on Tuesday, after the NASCAR Spring Cup points leader pleaded guilty to speeding. Fortunately for Busch, NASCAR doesn't require its competitors to have a valid state driver's license.
In May, the 26 year-old Busch was given a nearly $400,000 yellow Lexus LF-A high-performance car to take for a 24-hour whirl. That whirl was at 128 mph in a 45-mph zone.
"It was the opportunity of a lifetime but the wrong place and day to do it," The Charlotte Observer quoted him as saying.
Busch is not only banned from civilian roads, reports The Virginian-Pilot. He also faces a $1,000 fine, 30 hours of community service, one year of unsupervised probation, and a 30-day suspended jail sentence, which means that he could serve that month behind bars if he commits any offense in the coming 12 months.
Busch's lawyer, Cliff Homesley, said that Busch will sponsor 10 driving schools that will serve 300 teenage drivers through the B.R.A.K.E.S. safe driving foundation, which drag racer Doug Herbert founded after he lost two sons in an automobile accident.
Homesley added that Busch had built a $10 million facility in Iredell County, where he and his 35 employees build NASCAR truck-series chassis.
"The citizens of Iredell County are blessed this individual has come to Iredell County to live," the Observer reported Homesley as telling the judge. "He made one mistake."
The judge wasn't as hard as he could have been on Busch, who was ticketed for speeding as well as reckless driving. If he had been found guilty on the latter charge, Busch could have lost his license for 60 days.
In his closing remarks, Busch said that he was a changed man, and would use the humbling experience to "help teenagers and children to learn how to drive and not go through the consequences I'm going through."
Don't Miss: Top 10 Companies Hiring Now
Stories from AskMen