Toddler Playing With Lighter Blamed for Hotel Fire
A 3-year-old boy playing with a lighter in a hotel room Saturday afternoon is to blame for a two-alarm fire that caused an estimated $70,000 in damage to an Economy Inn in Modesto, California.
Ole C Eid/Flickr
Modesto Fire Battalion Chief Terry Inderbitzen tells the Modesto Bee newspaper that the boy was in a first-floor room with his parents when he accidentally lit the room's mattress on fire.
The fire quickly spread to the bed's headboard and the rest of the room, eventually reaching a second first-floor room.
The parents and their son quickly evacuated and were uninjured. Police officers evacuated several people staying in nearby rooms before a second alarm was called.
Firefighters had the blaze under control in about eight minutes. Rescuers used the ladder truck to cut a hole in the second-story roof and ventilate the smoke.
Damage was limited to the two first-floor rooms and the second-floor room just above. The room where the fire had started was gutted, while less extensive damage was caused to the others. A fourth room was affected by smoke and water damage.
Inderbitzen tells the newspaper these four rooms were uninhabitable, displacing about seven people.
More Articles You Might Like
- New Thrills and Chills on Amusement Park Rides[AOL Travel]
- Ten Stunning Ecotourism Destinations (PHOTOS) [Huffington Post]
- Tricks of Hotel Room Home Cooking (Video)[Lonely Planet]
- Indoor Waterpark Resorts to Amp Up a Vacation[AOL Travel]
- European Travel Made Easy[Reader's Digest]