AOL Jobs Week Resume Contest Winner: Liz Massi
Location: Orlando, Fla.
Job: Hospitality and Event Planning
Time Unemployed: 6 months
What do you want your potential employer to know about you?
I worked for Marriott for 24 years and due to the economic crisis, my position was eliminated. I had stellar annual reviews, loyal clients and a well trained and happy staff. I have excellent rapport building skills and my verbal and written communication skills are outstanding. I have old fashioned work ethics; I believe loyalty and work hard are the foundation of a good career.
After Marriott laid me off, I went to work for a small business that was rewarding but allowed no room for growth. I also went back to school and completed my AA, continuing on for my BA. I also became a mentor in a reading program for 2nd graders and recently began to substitute teach.
Return to hospitality and event planning. Utlize my 25+ years experience with a hotel company that recognizes loyalty and hard work.
Valencia Community College Orlando, FL - 2010
- AA General Studies – 3.9 GPA
Rutgers University Camden, NJ - 1978 – 1983
- Major: English, Minor: Journalism
Windermere Design/SweetSweets Windermere, FL -- 2009 – 2010
Assistant Manager (2/09-7/10)
- Responsible for Social Media Marketing
- Establish vendor relationships and ordering of product
- Write press releases and advertisement for special events
- Handle cash transactions and closing financial responsibilities for both retail shops.
Orlando Airport Marriott Orlando, FL -- 1984 – 2009
Director of Event Planning (3/93-1/09)
- Achieved revenues and exceeded expectations of meeting planners
- Above brand standard Event Satisfaction Survey scores
- Handled all aspects of planning conferences
- Lead an Event team of 9 and spearheaded opportunities for up-selling and menu development
- Responsible for weekly and monthly forecasts
- Involved in annual budget and marketing plan
- Wrote banquet menus and holiday/wedding/culturally specific menu package
Received the following awards:
- Manager of the Quarter 2005
- Manager of the Quarter 2000
- Manager of the Year 1998
- Director of Catering of the year for Region 1994
- Director of Catering of the year for Region 1992
Catering Sales Manger (11/91-3/93)
- Booked local catering and handled all planning details
- Coordinated group conferences. Consistently exceeded booking goals.
- Sales Excellence Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement 1991.
Executive Meeting Manager (10/90-11/91)
- Booked and handled details for groups of 25 rooms (peak) with catering attendance up to 50
Convention Service Manger (2/89-10/90)
- Coordinated all aspects of group events.
Food and Beverage Cost Controller (8/86-2/89)
- Responsible for inventories of food and beverage
- Prepared month-end cost analysis
- Prepared cost for outlet menus, banquet menus and all bars in beverage outlets.
Food and Beverage Assistant (7/84-8/86)
- Handled a variety of duties supporting the Food and Beverage Department.
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Orlando, FL --1983- 1984
- Lead department of 12 cashiers for all bars and restaurants
- Handled check controls and banquet cash bars.
- Proficient in Delphi, SFA, and Meeting Matrix
- Experienced in Word, Power Point, and Excel
If you have a position or job lead for Liz, please contact her at about.me/LizMassi