Toy ban on Happy Meals, other fast food delayed in San Francisco

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon
McDonald's signA vote on San Francisco's controversial proposed ban on toy giveaways in McDonald's Happy Meals and other fast food marketed to children will be pushed back to Nov. 2.

The controversial proposal had been up for a vote at today's meeting (Oct. 19), but the bill's prime sponsor, City Supervisor Eric Mar, said he will ask for a continuance and work on a plan to implement the law once it gains approval.

The proposal would block McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and other restaurants from using toys or games to market their children's meals unless they met rules limiting salt, fat, sugar and calorie content. The meals also would have to include fruits and vegetables.


In a statement to Consumer Ally, McDonald's USA spokeswoman Danya Proud said McDonald's will continue to work with city officials "to identify a solution to the very important topic of childhood obesity. Even with the amendments the supervisors have made, this proposal is not what our customers want, nor is it something they asked for."

The restaurant industry has been a vocal opponent of the proposal and a two-week delay would give Mar time to firm up support for a possible override vote if city Mayor Gavin Newsom makes good on his promise to veto the ban. If it goes into effect, the proposal will be the second in California. Santa Clara County adopted a similar law in April.
Read Full Story

Want more news like this?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from business news to personal finance tips delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners