Update: Crew Member on Oasis of the Seas Goes Missing

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

Royal Caribbean

The U.S. Coast Guard has abandoned its search for a 45-year old crew member who went overboard from the world's largest cruise ship, the 5,400-passenger Oasis of the Seas.

A Royal Caribbean spokeswoman said the crew member was a 45-year-old assistant waiter from St. Vincent and the Grenadines. She declined to give his name.

The ship earlier in the week skipped a port call at St. Thomas to search for the man, who had been reported missing by co-workers. After trying to page the crew member, security officers on the ship reviewed footage from security cameras which did indeed show the person going overboard, the spokeswoman said.

The incident happened off Nassau, and the ship turned around to retrace its route in hopes of finding the missing waiter. The U.S. Coast Guard later took over the search, joined by Bahamian authorities.

Because of the missed port call, passengers on the eastern Caribbean voyage are being credited $300 to $800 off a future cruise, depending on their cabin category, the spokeswoman said.

The ship visited St. Maarten on Wednesday and is currently at sea and scheduled to return to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday.
Read Full Story

From Our Partners