Tax Tips: Why you might not have gotten your economic stimulus check yet
But the IRS was kind enough to point out a few of the most common reasons why taxpayers haven't received their checks. See if you fall under one of these:
- You filed your tax return more than once because you thought that would help. (No, it just makes things worse and delays your payment even more while the IRS figures out why you filed twice.)
- You listed an incorrect amount of income. (Some taxpayers stated their monthly income on their tax returns, while the economic stimulus payments are based on your annual income.)
- You owe money. (If you owed and didn't pay, that money will get taken out of your check, but will also likely delay the issuance of that check.)
- You filed an amended return. (It's going to take the IRS some time to process that amended return.)
- You didn't notify the IRS of your current address. (It's the taxpayer's responsibility to keep their address updated.)
Tracy L. Coenen, CPA, MBA, CFE performs fraud examinations and financial investigations for her company Sequence Inc. Forensic Accounting, and is the author of Essentials of Corporate Fraud.